Can Modi-Shah pull off a Tripura in Tamil Nadu?
With BJP's sweeping victory in the northeast, Modi and Amit Shah will now eye at expanding the party's voter base in TN. BJP has ambitious leaders who wish to see the party come to power in TN, but have seldom done enough to strengthen it at the ground level. Had someone foretold this five years ago, people would have laughed it away, as the saffron party had a mere 1.5% vote in the last elections. Despite this, if BJP was able to clinch a win in Tripura, why not Tamil Nadu, where the party has a vote share of around 3%? However, the similarity ends there. Unlike Tripura, in Tamil Nadu, the BJP’s vote share has remained stagnant for decades and peaked only twice in 1998 and 1999, when it came to power at the Centre under A B Vajpayee — but by aligning with the AIADMK or the DMK. The social fabric of Tamil Nadu is made of almost 40% dalits and minorities. Among the remaining 60%, the backward classes and the most backward classes have tailored in the causes of social justice and reservation. While the BJP lacks credible leadership of stature in Tamil Nadu, the stand taken by it on several issues have sent out a signal that it is against the interests of the state. "It may have won in Tripura and may win in Thiruvananthapuram. But, this BJP express cannot pass through Tamil Nadu," said AIADMK Rajya Sabha member, V Maitreyan. Lotus can bloom in Tamil Nadu if BJP wins in Karnataka and resolves Kaveri water issue, puts behind bars all corrupt party leaders in the state. Anything is possible.
Is Pakora Politics Beneficial for the Nation ?
Chandigarh : The 'pakoda wars' were back with a vengeance when Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar dished out some saucy remarks to Congress workers selling hot fritters outside the state assembly. The Congress has been protesting against Prime Minister Narendra Modi's now infamous statement on job creation by setting up pakoda vends in various states, which has earned the ire of the ruling BJP. But Congress legislators got a surprise when CM Manohar Lal Khattar, en route to attend the budget session in the Haryana assembly, stopped by their 'rehri' (cart) and bought some pakodas. This, Khattar explained, was his way of helping the Congress party which was currently "unemployed", i.e. not in power, in the state. "If anyone is getting employment by selling pakodas, it's a good thing. They had become unemployed, but now they have got the pakoda-selling job, which is a good thing," the CM jibed. Later in the assembly, health minister Anil Vij lost no time in taking a swipe at the Congress by saying that his department would get the quality of pakodas examined. The Congress lawmakers, led by Kiran Choudhary, were offering pakodas to passersby before going to the state assembly as a protest against PM Modi's remarks likening selling pakodas to being employed. Holding the 'pakoras' in a basket, the Congress legislators tried to march towards the Assembly but they were stopped by the police.
Soon, Jaipur to Delhi by train in 90 minutes is a faster process of Govt's "Make In India" Movement ?
Ministry of railways is planning to have a semi-high speed train on Jaipur-Delhi route which would run at a speed of up to 200 km/hour. The ministry has appointed an Italy-based railway engineering company to do a feasibility study for the project at its own cost. In its recent letter to the authorities of the NWR, the ministry has asked them to nominate ADRM, Jaipur as a member of project working group for the day-to-day interaction and coordination for the study. They have also been asked to nominate an officer who will act as Nodal Officer for the railway for day-to-day interaction with the railway board for the study. “They have asked us to share the pattern of operation between two stations, pattern of passenger’s load, pattern of freight train, their speed and length, feature of the tracks double or single, infrastructure of the track including bridges, platforms, signalling etc and number of level crossings between Jaipur and Delhi. We are compiling the details which would be sent to them in the next 10 days,” said a senior officer of NWR on the condition of anonymity. When contacted Tarun Jain, chief public relations officer, NWR, said, “Some details have been sought from us. Yes, it is a part of rail ministry’s initiative to introduce semi-high speed train. A company FS-Italferr will do a feasibility study.” The rail distance between Jaipur and Delhi is 309 kms/hour and the existing tracks between the two routes can attain a maximum speed of 110 kms/hour. Usually the trains on the track maintain a speed of 80 kms/hours to 95 kms/hours to cover the distance in 5 to 8 hours depending on the number of halts. With this project, people can think of completing the journey between the state capital and national capital in less than 2 hours.